The Maritime Aboriginal Peoples Council (MAPC), a regional Aboriginal Peoples Leaders Institution, established by the Native Council of Nova Scotia, the Native Council of Prince Edward Island and the New Brunswick Aboriginal Peoples Council,represents the Traditional Ancestral Homeland Mi’Kmaq, Maliseet, and Passamaquoddy Aboriginal Peoples of Canada.
The Objectives of the Maritime Aboriginal Peoples Council are:
- To profile the reality that there reside in the three Maritime provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, Aboriginal Peoples who continue to live on their traditional ancestral homelands displaced to Indian Act reservations.
- To continually promote the Aboriginal, Treaty and Other Rights of the Aboriginal Peoples as guaranteed in the Constitution Act of Canada, 1982, to which rights our community of Aboriginal Peoples are beneficiaries, heirs and right holders as represented community members throughout the Maritime Provinces.
- To promote, advance, advocate and protect common regional: matters, issues, activities interests, works, Aboriginal Rights, Treaty Rights and Other Rights of the Aboriginal Peoples residing on their traditional ancestral homelands within the three Maritime Provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
- To remain ever vigilant and to take any and all measures available: at law, by politics, or through proactive advocacy to ensure that decision makers do not subject our community of traditional ancestral homeland Aboriginal Peoples to social, economic, educational, political or individual disadvantage, stereotype, vulnerability, prejudice or discrimination.
- To conceive, develop, and manage commercial economic developments, initiatives, works, or enterprises for the benefit of our community of Aboriginal Peoples residing on traditional ancestral homelands throughout Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, and to provide oversight over these commercial economic developments, initiatives, works, or enterprises for community benefit.
MAPC has 5 Forums: